An accident at camp requires immediate attention by your health center and possibly transport to a local medical facility. After treatment is received and all is well with the camper it is easy to file away the related paperwork without taking a moment to review the incident to determine if future accidents could be eliminated or the frequency of similar incidents reduced. Here is a quick six step process that could yield helpful information for the future. Following an accident ask yourself these questions and note the answers.
- Who was involved in the accident?
- What events and conditions led to the accident?
- Where did the accident occur?
- When did the accident occur?
- How did the accident occur?
- Why did the accident occur?
Keep notes in an active file to review at the end of your camp season. A little time and effort may pay big dividends in identifying ways to make your camp activities safer.